Voyage and Return
From Episode 12 of the weekly Storyteller Tactics episodes
Each week we release a new story and two Storyteller Tactics cards from the deck, launching on Kickstarter later this year.
What is the Voyage and Return story tactic?
From Homer's Odyssey to The Littlest Hobo, we love adventurous journeys - and to feel the pull of home.
This story lets you put change front and centre. Your hero stumbles, is thrown or leaps into a strange new world. It's frightening and exhilarating. They will learn a lot before they see home again. Crucially, the voyage has changed everything. The hero is different when they return - and so too is home.
How to use the Voyage and Return tactic
How can your project story hit the beats of Voyage and Return? Try two versions: in the first, you are the hero and this is your innovation journey. In the second, your customer is the hero and you help them on a journey to solve a problem.
1. Home: safe, but dull.
- How is Home less than it could be?
- Why is your Hero anxious for adventure?
- What kind of new world is out there? (This could be a strange world in physical, social or psychological terms)
2. Voyage: into the strange new world.
- How does the journey begin: a deliberate choice, forced or accidental?
- What are the dangers here? What are the opportunities?
- How does your Hero feel the pull of Home?
- What lesson does your Hero learn here?
3. Return: to the old world, but different.
- How has the Hero changed on the voyage?
- How does Home look different on the Hero's return?
- How will the Hero make Home better?
Read more: C.Booker, Seven Basic Plots
🤔 Confused? Enlightened?
Let us know! We are still developing Storyteller Tactics. Drop us an email with your feedback. We reply to every single one.
- Charles & Steve.